CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 3, 2008

Kerouac vs Green Gables

I’m such a slacker. I obviously haven’t updated my blog in a while- I know that probably disappoints all 3 people who read it so I thought I would repent and do better. These last few weeks have been pretty non-stop. I like that because I love to feel busy all the time- It makes me feel productive. A few weeks ago I, and two other swell folks, took a little road-trip to San Diego. I have to say that I love seeing new places. Whenever I’m somewhere new I end up trying to picture my life as if I lived there. I think I could be happy almost anywhere, although Oregon will always have a hold on my heart. I love new places. Sometimes, I picture myself becoming a wanderer who has little ties or roots, but has lived a rich life with lots of interesting travel stories to tell all my nieces and nephews. One thing I really like about road trips, besides the change of scenery, is the time in the car you have to just think. For a lot of the drive home from San Diego I was just sorta thinking about a bunch of stuff that has been rolling around in my head lately. One thing that I came to the conclusion to was how a lot of my life is determined by my loyalties. I’m usually a bit slow on the up-take, so all my friends and family probably already know this about me. (Way to clue me in- Dawn, I’m talking to you. You know you know what I’m feeling better than I do!!!) Anyways, I came to the conclusion that I am defiantly someone who finds what I like and sticks with it. Perhaps it’s my slightly stubborn nature, or perhaps I just like deep connections but it’s just how I am. This is the only way I have come to explain my more lasting relationships with people. Really, is there anything better than knowing someone so well that you become permanent fixtures in each others lives? I love feeling needed and wanted by someone. I like having affected someone’s life just by being a part of it. And vise versa. At the same time, I’m a pretty private person and I have to feel really safe before I commit myself to someone in any capacity that really counts. I think I have been like this my entire life, even when I was in third grade and my best friend was Lucy Meza- We still talk every now and then. I love that I am so loyal, but I have also learned that I need to be careful, I sometimes set myself up to fail when I become so dedicated to someone who is perhaps not as invested as I am. This is a bit frightening to me because I don’t really know how to do relationships any other way. – I guess I’m not very good at the middle ground. I’m sorta an all or nothing’ girl sometimes. I mean really, if someone can’t fully devote themselves to you in a given capacity, be it friendship or more- what’s the point? No thanks- I’ll be fine without. I suppose I watched Anne of Green Gables to much as a child because in my friendships I want Dianna Barry, and in a romantic relationship I want a Gilbert Blythe- someone who is so constant that they conquer death just to prove how loyal they are to you. Yup- I’ll take it. Anyways- I feel like I am rambling. I suppose I’m just trying to reconcile exactly how it is that I sometimes want to wander the world aimlessly and yet, I won’t settle for anything less than devotion and I crave connection. Blah blah blah…. Here are some fun pics. from San Diego:



4 comments:

meagan said...

Becca! You're amazing. And is that pic of you jumping in front of the temple in the CPK parking lot? because I'm pretty sure I have a similar one--only Charlie's Angels style...

Also, I vote let's play SOON!!!

LaRance family said...

Well, well, well...IT'S ABOUT TIME! Anyway, on a scale of 1 to 20 pages this blog made me 20 pages worth of happy. I admire you for the way you can write what you are feeling and make it sound good. Mines like...a bird pooped on my nose... Anyway you say you are not good at expressing your feelings at times but I think you are great, especially in writing form. Love ya!!

PS Thanks for including me in your blog. It gave me the winning face.

Shaun said...

Dude, you always take the coooooolest pictures. Like that seagull pic mmmm or all the other ones too. I wish I could capture pictures like you. I even bought a good camera, but no. I even try to be you when I snap the shot, but no. *sigh*

Unknown said...

I have no idea how old this is; who you are. All I know is that all I want to do is wander, but man is that first step the hardest. To leave my family, friends, home town all behind, with no money, and just disappear on my adventure. While my closest friends and family will probably hate my decision, I think I need to just get the fuck out of dodge.